file Archimate - add tagged values / attributes?

2 months 1 week ago #5378 by matthew.james
Is there a way in Modelio to add tagged values / attributes to Archimate elements? In the same way that the Archimate Access and Influence relationships each have an enumeration attribute.
As an example, if I wanted to add a maturity rating enumeration (eg high, medium, low) to Archimate Capability how would I do that? In such a way that all Capabilities have that attribute?

I am in effect looking to modify or extend the Archimate.Capability metaclass I'm not sure if this is possible.
The normal 'create element' > 'attribute' context menu option doesn't show for Archimate elements so I don't seem to be able to do this even for a specific instance.

Note - I am running the open source version 3.7.01

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 4 weeks ago #5394 by matthew.james
Bump ... ?
Anyone got any thoughts on this ? Am I dreaming ... ?

1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #5395 by osl
Hi, let's make your dream come true ;)

1. create a new 'Maturity' Stereotype in your LocalProfile
2. create a 'Maturity' PropertyTableDefinition under your Stereotype
3. create a 'Maturity' PropertyDefinition under your PropertyTableDefinition
4. create a 'MaturityLevel' EnumeratedPropertyType in your LocalModule
5. create three EnumerationLiterals under your EnumeratedPropertyType: 'high', 'medium', and 'low'.
6. edit your 'Maturity' PropertyDefinition and type it 'MaturityLevel
7. create an ArchiMate view and a Capacity in it
8. select the Capability and open the Symbol tray (to the right of your diagram
9. check the 'Show tags' box
10. right-click on your Capability and run the 'Add Stereotype' command
11. add the <<Maturity>> Stereotype to the Capability
12. open the 'Properties' tab
13. select 'LocalModule > Maturity'
14. select a value in the drop-down list of the 'Maturity' value field

Result:

General view:

BR

Go pro
Attachments:

1 month 3 weeks ago #5396 by matthew.james
Thanks for the awesome and detailed response - I can now see how this works, and how to use / apply stereotypes and enumerations to different elements. Opens up lots of possibilities. And I doubt I would have got there by muddling through myself.

Now for the $1m question ... I can add properties / tagged values to individual elements (one at a time), but is there a way to add these as a default to the underlying element type ? (meta-class?)
Using Archimate Capability again as an example, the above approach lets me add Maturity to an instance of the Capability meta-class. Is there a way to do something so that *every* Capability gets this property (or at least every new Capability when added).

1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #5397 by osl
Hi,

This is actually the same process except you have to create a 'MetaclassReference' instead of a Stereotype at step 1:

However, although the property would actually exist in the model in Modelio 3.7.1, you'll have to migrate to Modelio 3.8 to be able to see it in the Properties tab:

Please let me know when you can transfer the million dollar.

BR

Go pro
Attachments:

1 month 3 weeks ago #5398 by matthew.james
Thanks again :-)
I had actually tried that but it didn't seem to be working - after "Create Element -> Metaclass Reference" I was just getting an empty, unnamed element in the project browser, no dialogues or ability to specific the metaclass to reference, so I was assuming this wasn't working. I have found that I can link the new element to the right metaclass after it has been created. After that the process was simple as you'd described :-)
(Once I get hold of the $1m I'll be sure to send it your way ...!)

A couple of follow up questions:
- What is supposed to happen when you remove a stereotype from an element? I have found that when I remove the stereotype (created as per your first message above), the stereotype and tag disappear from the element properties, but the tagged value is still displayed on the element in diagrams. So it's kind of left behind in some weird way
- What is supposed to happen with default values on tags? I have created the metaclass reference (as described in your second message above) and now when I add a new Capability it has the tagged value as a property. However when I add the element to a diagram the default value for the tag isn't showing, even if I click on "Show tags" for that element.It only display once I change it from the default value

Moderators: tmachmebr
Time to create page: 0.587 seconds
^ Back to Top