file [Solved] Time/Duration observation

6 years 8 months ago #1423 by Leen
Hello everyone

in MARTE profile and exactly in Time sub-profile there is :
1-Time Observation
2- Duration observation
3-Timed constraint
what is the meaning of each one of them and how can i use them on the diagram?
if there is example for each one of them

Any hint is highly appreciated

Regards
Leen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #1427 by barbe.rousse
Hi Leen,

These MARTE concepts related to the timing aspect are used a lot in sequence diagram as shown in my attacment.

The first concept, i.e. TimeObservation, is described in the UML2 specification. It is related to an event and represents a given time instant. It is use in order to highlight a given instant. For using it under Modelio, you have to select your instant and then create a "TimeObsercvation" Note under it.

The second concept, i.e. DurationObservation, is also an UML2 concept which represent the duration between two time instants. It is used in order to specify a duration. For model it, you have to create a Constraint between the two instants and then stereotyped it as "DurationObservation".

And finally the TimedConstraint, which is a MARTE concept, is used in order to specify, constrain, force a duration between two time instants. for usign it create a constraint between two instant and stereotype this latter as "TimedConstraint".

Hoping it helps.

BR
Attachments:

6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #1495 by Leen
Hi Barbe,

thank you very much for an amazing example that you provide.

#TimeObservation refer to a lifeline or also on a message that is resides between lifelines?
#if it resides through lifeline,Does this mean that i should specify it in a particular point or in any point through lifeline ?

and i modeled it by the following steps:
1-selecting note from palette and then
2-click on specific location through lifeline and then
3-right click on note to add time observation stereotype
4-edit it to add t=now
5-specify note type in element tab as TimedObservation .
#Does those steps ok?
#if it is UML2 concept,why we use timeobservation stereotype from MARTE through righ click-->add stereotype?

#t=now. Is it possible to use another variable and where i should define those variables?

and what about "now" how can specify number instead of now?

#DurationObservation on start and finish of message?or there is another way to use it?
#code d=duration
i select constraint element --> add stereotype(right click)-->duration observation
#when i select one stereotype out of many from a list ,Does those stereotype related to MARTE or others ?
#how can specify the values of d?

#TimedConstraint is a MARTE concept and TimeConstraint is a UML2 concept
what is the differences between them .please explain through example?

Best Regards
Leen

6 years 6 months ago #1498 by barbe.rousse
Hi Leen,

First of all TimeObservation, Duration, etc. are very unused UML Element so the best information source is still the UML specification .

According to my interpretation of the UML Specification, TimeObsevation metaclass can be related to any NamedElement (which means a lot of elements...) but the description is the following "The observation is determined by the entering or exiting of the event element during execution." so TimeObservation would refer events (i.e. start or end of message or execution).

Your modelling steps look good.
You are right TimeObservation is a UML so we would be integrate it under Modelio.

Concerning "t=now" the best would to take a look at the UML specification and see what is possible but I am not sure taht it is well defined...

In the same way DurationObservation can be related to any NamedElement but once again according to the UML specification "The observation is determined by the entering or exiting of the event element during execution." so I unserdtood that DurationObservation can be related to start and end of message and/or execution.

For me, the main difference between TimeConstraint and TimedConstraint is the fact that MARTE really specified a way for modelling time and all concept around (including timed constraint).
If I well understood in UML TimeConstraint specification can be "t..t+3" or "t1 = t2 + 4" or what you want, it is totally free and up to you. But as you do not have a formal way for specifying you must previously define what you mean by "t..t+3".
MARTE provide (or try to provide) a formal way for these kind of specifications so you will not have to define what you mean by "t..t+3". If your model follow the MARTE specification, your TimedConstraint specification should be clear for everyone knowing MARTE.

Hoping it helps.

RB
I nmart

Moderators: tmachmebr
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
^ Back to Top