file Modelio 4.0: how to move modules catalog for all users on Windows 10

7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #5837 by htwimi
Hi all,

i'm a sys admin in a Windows 10 multi-user lab running Modelio 4.0. I don't want to store big data amounts like the modules catalog in the users profile folders. Therefore:
  • Is there a way to store this data in another folder without forcing each user to set this in the preferences? Maybe in a config file or as a startup option?
  • Is it okay to have one model catalog for all users?
  • Is there any other - maybe temporary - data which is stored in the user profile i can get rid off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 3 weeks ago #5838 by pan
Dear htwimi,

Close Modelio.
You can edit the modelio.ini file (present in the Modelio installation folder) and add the following parameter :
"-Duser.home=C:\YourDirectory" then start Modelio.
Replace "C:\YourDirectory" by the directory of your choice. Just be sure that you have Read/Write permissions and all necessary access on this directory.

Let us know if it helps.

7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #5839 by htwimi
Thanks. I assume if i do so everything in C:\Users\USERNAME\.modelio is stored in C:\YourDirectory\.modelio?

Is there anything in .modelio which is 'private' for a single user and has to be roamed with his profile? I assume the modules catalog is 'static' and is the same for all users? Why does a user has to have write access to the modules catalog?

Don't get me wrong: i don't know how to use Modelio at all, i just have to make sure the teachers and students can use it and have to take care about our users roaming profiles size.

7 months 3 weeks ago #5847 by pan
One constraint would be at least to use exactly the same version of Modelio. You should have a directory by Modelio version. For example, if your are using Modelio 3.8 and Modelio 4.0 and you share the same modules catalog it can lead to some inconsistency.

The users will access this directory at the same time?
A user has to have write access to the modules catalog if he deploys a new module for example.

7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #5849 by htwimi
I just have Modelio 4.0 installed, so mixing Modelio 3.8 models is no issue.

I see several options:

1. Move the modules catalog to the users private space on a network share
2. Move the modules catalog to a non-roaming folder private to the user on the local machine
3. Move the modules catalog to a non-roaming folder (with or without write access) for all users on the local machne

Option 1 maybe is a bad idea due to network latency
Option 2 forces user X to always use the same machine in the same lab, really a bad idea
Option 3 seems ok for me. I don't mind if the users can write to the folder. There will be only one user at the same time accessing the folder. However, another user may use the folder later.

But option 3 will only work if i can move the modules catalog only, not the whole .modelio folder (because i still don't know if there is anything other inside .modelio which belongs privately to the user and must be roamed...)

7 months 1 week ago #5868 by htwimi
I figured out how to do this. The folder for the models catalog is stored in
%USERPROFILE%\.modelio\4.0\opensource-cache\data\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\org.modelio.app.preferences.prefs

in this line:
ModuleCatalog.LocalPath=DRIVE\:\\PATH

where DRIVE is the volume drive letter and PATH is the path to the modules catalog. Note the \:\\ notation.

What i do now is to start a powershell script before Modelio 4 starts which exchanges the DRIVE\:\\PATH string with a local folder.

I'd really appreciate a better solution, i.e. in the ini file in the modelio program folder...

Moderators: cde
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds
^ Back to Top