file Crash !

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #771 by pan
Hi moroconvich,

I recovered your project. You can download it from here .

For information, I deleted a diagram which was unrecoverable.

Let us know if the project is OK for you.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago #781 by fpo
From my point of view Modelio 2.x are more stable than previous 1.2 versions (which in term where more stable than Objecteering whatever-version), so I wouldn't recommend using an old version anyway.

Sadly, repairing a broken project file usually implies some C++ debugging using VisualStudio (or gdb), which in terms mean you have to compile a debug version of dll (resp. so) file which can be quite a lot of work.

On the other hand, if Excel did break an xls file, would you try to repair it? I'll admit this does not happen very often, but speaking from an intellectual point of view, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even try, just regret you didn't make some quite of backup... well, that stands true for Modelio as well.

8 years 9 months ago #785 by pan
fpo is true. Modelio 2.x is the most stable version.

I'll admit this does not happen very often, but speaking from an intellectual point of view, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even try,

I wouldn't compare Modelio to Excel but to a database. If the database contains a lot of datas and a lot of hours of work, it is understandable that we try to recover these datas. This is a logical reaction, first we try to resolve the problem ourselves then we ask help to resolve a problem.
It is not always intuitive and automatic to make backups so maybe Modelio should help users from this point of view?

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #791 by fpo
Oh yes, I didn't mean that one shouldn't try to save his/her data when it is possible, of course. And yes, obviously the first logical reaction is to try to fix the problem by yourself, and then call for help.

My point was just that saying "I may not use Modelio because I want to be able to fix my students' broken projects by myself" may be too strong of a statement: if you plan on making your students work on UML or BPMN or whatever else that modelio can do, then by all means please use Modelio because:
a) there is a free and open-source version which in my mind is a good thing for education. The more curious students might even be tempted to go and have a look at the inside of Modelio itself!
b) there is a nice and helpful community here. And yes, we'll gladly listen to your students problems and questions, even though we may not have time to answer or help all of them of course (and even then there are other users that might help and answer as well). Of course, we are not going to do their homework!

And my analogy was that if you want to make some students work on Database management, you may use MySQL or something like this, because it's free etc, even though you may not be able to repair a broken base by yourself but can more or less protect yourself by making regular backups.

As for Modelio "helping" users about said backups and such, well there is a lot to be said about persistency and what it should or shouldn't do but I won't go into this here. I might just say that the Teamwork (commercial) module works with SVN, so it can also be considered as some kind of backup system. ;)

8 years 9 months ago #803 by moroconvich
hi,

my project is ok thank you !

I will use modelio 2.x whith my students, but i will ask students to save quite frequently !

Moro

Moderators: tma
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds
^ Back to Top