file [SOLVED] What is Root property for?

3 weeks 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #6450 by newuser2
I have a very basic question. A class has several properties such as Name, Visibility, Abstract, etc. What is the purpose of the Root property? More generally, where can I find a list of these properties and descriptions of them? What happens if Primitive, Active, Root, or Main is selected?

I did try to search for this. The problem is the keywords involved (root, uml, element, property) bring up loads of links that appear to not be relevant to me (I could easily be mistaken).

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 1 day ago #6452 by cde
Hi,

The "Root" property is used to indicate that the class can't inherit from another.

All these properties (Visibility, Abstract, etc.) are defined is the UML 2 norm.

You can have a look at the official OMG wbesite for the UML 2 Specification , and on the Modelio Metamodel Documentation

For example, for the "Root" property you can find its definition on the NameSpace page of the Modelio Metamodel.

Best regards,
cde
The following user(s) said Thank You: newuser2

2 weeks 6 days ago #6453 by newuser2
I appreciate your help! I would never have found that on my own.

On that NameSpace page, there is nothing for "Active". I would have thought that since these checkboxes are all in one location (the class properties deal), that there would be a description of all those checkboxes in one place as well. Where would I find the description of what "Active" means (simililarly for "Main")?

I have found diagraming classes to be helpful and Modelio to be very nice to use, but I doubt I will ever read the UML specs since I have no interest in the vast majority of it (at least, not yet). This is similarly to how I have never read the C++ reference but regularly search and find what I need from it. As I use Modelio more, it is nice to learn little by little. Usually, I am able to find what I need in documentation, but somehow, I have not had any success searching the UML docs. Might I be missing some kind of UML searching tips?

2 weeks 5 days ago #6454 by cde
Hi,

"Active"is a Class property and therefore is documented on the Class's metamodel documentation page .

Class inherits from GeneralClass which inherits from Classifier , which itself inherits from NameSpace .

By following the inheritance tree on an element you'll find all its properties...

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
cde
The following user(s) said Thank You: newuser2

1 week 1 day ago #6473 by newuser2
Thanks a bunch cde! I feel like I'm well grounded now :)

Moderators: tma
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
^ Back to Top