file Git Friendly Project store // Text driven models

1 month 1 week ago #6407 by jmpicnic
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I am a newbie in the community.

As I start using Modelio, I would like to evangelize its use at work and I am wondering what is the best way to collaborate on large models/projects.

We have been using XCore (in Eclipse) and before that JSON-Schema (ouch) to represent information models in the past and PlantUML for other kinds of diagrams.

A key driver of those decisions is the ability to express the models in text/source files that are +/- human friendly (at least when compared to xmi), the ability to split a model in multiple files/directories (Java package style) and very importantly, to take advantage of the GitHub branch/modify/commit/pull-request/merge cycle that is most effective with smallish files and directory structures. This has allowed us to share models very broadly to developers that would never touch a UML tool.

Is there a way to export/import or even better, to edit directly the models as text in a DSL syntax like xcore ( wiki.eclipse.org/Xcore ) ? If not, do you think it is possible to develop a module that would at least do the import/export to a directory/zip structure?

Regards

Miguel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 1 week ago #6411 by cma
Hello and welcome to Modelio community !

I think the best solution for your use case is to write a module to import/export your model files into Modelio.
With a module you will be able to use directly XCore java libraries to parse and write the file.

You will find more informations about how to write a module in the Module developer guide .

Regards

1 month 1 week ago #6412 by jmpicnic
Thank you for the quick response. I'll check the module development route. A quick question to validate the approach...

Are modules able to work "in the background" so that the two representations are kept transparently in sync?

Thanks again

Miguel

1 month 1 week ago #6413 by jmpicnic
One more question to help with my ramp up, are there any git projects of Modelio modules that I could look at to see how to best structure a module, and learning by example?

Thanks a lot again for your patience with a newbie.

1 month 6 days ago #6414 by cma
A module may do background work by:
- creating a Java Thread on module start
- Scheduling background work with a java.util.concurrent.ScheduledExecutorService
This may be done in your module lifecycle handler .

The limitation is only one thread may modify the model at the same time, creating a transaction will fail if another one is already open.
It means the user won't be able to modify the model while the module is modifying the model.

I don't know a place with short examples but you may look at the sources of the open source Java generator here:
github.com/ModelioOpenSource/ExtensionsForModelio

There is also a maven archetype available, it is described here .
and a module development tutorial .

1 month 6 days ago #6417 by jmpicnic
Thank you very much.

Moderators: tma
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds
^ Back to Top