question-circle Workflow in UML

2 weeks 1 day ago #6032 by Robert Hairgrove
I am modeling a desktop application which does scheduling of presentations determined by the input data. It has a GUI and a backend database. The application imports data from external sources, does analysis and processing of the data, calculates an optimal schedule for the presentations, and exports output as lists of different schedules. The application is already implemented and works OK, but I'd like to create a UML model with some diagrams which would help document the source code in C++ (and SQL for the backend).

What I have done so far is create the use case view, the static design view with classes, etc., and some sequence diagrams of different functions.

Now I am trying to decide what the best way of modelling the workflow would be. I have defined 11 different states represented by corresponding status values in the database. Depending on the workflow status, some user options (mostly menu options) are enabled and others are disabled; when the status changes, data is inserted or updated in the database, and the menus are updated to reflect the next stage in the workflow.

I assume that an activity diagram with a high-level view of the different states is the way to go? Up to now, I have gotten by using an Excel table with the menu options in the first column and the different states in the first row, which is an exact 1-to-1 mapping of the workflow. The menu options are respresented by use cases in the use case view.

What I would like to do is to tie in the status codes from the database with the top-down level in the activity diagram -- it is not so much for the end user, but for developers trying to maintain my code. Should I do this with notes, or is there a "best practice" in UML to give each workflow level a label other than just by looking at the diagram? Or should I do this (somehow) in the use cases?

Thanks for your input! In the meantime, I am having a lot of fun with Modelio ... I have tried five or six different open source UML tools, and I think Modelio works the best (and easiest).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: tma
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds
^ Back to Top