file get out of "Operation not supported"

1 year 11 months ago #5308 by fpi
Hi Pan

You are right : /Volume/share/modelio directory is a NTFS drive.

Though It seems to me that write permission is ok because I can :

. create directory using shell command mkdir or Finder/New Folder
. create a file and write into with shell command echo "blabla" > newfile
. drag existing file and drop it to /Volume/share/modelio using Finder

So for our "classic" usage of this NTFS drive everything is fine.

I wonder if there is a java issue (we are not java developers at all) because of :
- some lines in log file when I tried to create a new project (see attachment failedcreation.log)

- the content of Project1/project.conf (incomplete but not empty)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--GENERATED FILE, PLEASE DO NOT EDIT!!!--><project name="Project1" type="LOCAL" version="4" projectSpaceVersion="1" modelioVersion="3.7.01">
<auth scheme="AUTH_NONE" scope="LOCAL"></auth>
<properties></properties>
<todo></todo>
</project>

Here is my java situation :

java -version
java version "1.8.0_111"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode)

Of course as I am a new Modelio user I tried many things and I am wondering also if the empty window Preferences/Project default values (see attachments) is a normal situation (same for Preferences/XMI window) : How to retrieve choices ?

I used to see Default visibility and changed from Public to Local.
Can this change explain "operation not permitted" ?

How can I properly uninstall Modelio and restart from scratch ? there are may be some cache elsewhere than $HOME/.modelio.

In 3.7 is there any new or undocumented options described in forge.modelio.org/projects/modelio3-user...command_line_options ?

Regards
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 11 months ago #5309 by pan
Actually, Modelio succeeds in creating files in the NTFS drive but it tries to lock some resources so another process cannot access the same resources at the same time. It is this locking system which is not supported by default by the NTFS system and which is causing problems.

We need to do more tests in order to provide a reliable way to work with NTFS drives on Linux/MacOS systems.

You can safely switch your workspace to a local drive.

Can you tell me where you change this?

How can I properly uninstall Modelio and restart from scratch ? there are may be some cache elsewhere than $HOME/.modelio.

If you want to uninstall Modelio because of this "Operation not supported" problem I think it will not change anything. The problem is only due to access to a NTFS shared drive. If you access a local drive you will not encounter problem.
Can you work on a local drive? or is it an important need to work on a NTFS shared drive?

Of course as I am a new Modelio user I tried many things and I am wondering also if the empty window Preferences/Project default values (see attachments) is a normal situation (same for Preferences/XMI window) : How to retrieve choices ?

These window preferences are empty because you didn't open a project. You have to open a project first. These preferences are local to projects so they are not shown when no project is opened. Can you just confirm me that you access these preferences when a project is opened?

BR

1 year 11 months ago #5310 by fpi

pan wrote: Actually, Modelio succeeds in creating files in the NTFS drive but it tries to lock some resources so another process cannot access the same resources at the same time. It is this locking system which is not supported by default by the NTFS system and which is causing problems.

We need to do more tests in order to provide a reliable way to work with NTFS drives on Linux/MacOS systems.

glad to hear you have some precise ideas of investigation.

You can safely switch your workspace to a local drive.

ok

Can you tell me where you change this?

Sounds more secured (sparse documentation by the way). Our project will have names and personal informations.

If you want to uninstall Modelio because of this "Operation not supported" problem I think it will not change anything. The problem is only due to access to a NTFS shared drive. If you access a local drive you will not encounter problem.

thanks for this advice

Can you work on a local drive? or is it an important need to work on a NTFS shared drive?

I can trained myself on my local drive but this NTFS shared drive is a key feature in my organisation. We may reconsider Modelio choice for BPMN modelisation if we don't find a solution to the lock problem.

These window preferences are empty because you didn't open a project. You have to open a project first. These preferences are local to projects so they are not shown when no project is opened. Can you just confirm me that you access these preferences when a project is opened?

Thanks for the explanation. Yes I saw them.

Regards

1 year 11 months ago #5320 by pan
Hello Fran├žoise,

I have more information about this situation. Actually, MacOS does not support to lock files on SMB mount ( bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193594 ). Modelio needs to lock files in order to avoid inconsistencies if several persons access the same project.

What is your need exactly?
Do you need that several persons access the same project at the same time? In this case, I think the best solution would be to use the Teamwork functionality provided by Modeliosoft .

Best Regards

Moderators: tma
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds
^ Back to Top