file Keeping model file under version control (git)

2 months 3 weeks ago #5222 by semancik
Hello,

I'm looking for a tool to maintain models for our open source project. Modelio seems to be a good fit. However, there is one problem: I haven't found any good way to keep the model in version control system such as git.

I'm the one that does almost all of the modelling. Therefore I do not need merging capabilities. I just need a way how to let others to see and browse the models and maybe make occasional corrections.

As I was exploring the topic, I have found only quite old information that does not seem to be applicable any more. As I was looking into the project files, some of them seem to contain paths specific to my machine, so they may not be usable by others. It looks like sharing the files directly is not a good method. Or am I wrong? I'm aware about Teamwork and Constellation. But those seems to be built from closed teams and they do not seem to be a good fit for open source project. Ability to store the files in git is really the make-or-break feature for use of modelio for open source projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #5223 by osl
Hi,

If you're only looking to share your work in read-only mode, you can export an HTML version of your model.
Here's how to proceed:
1. go to 'Configuration > Modules'
2. Click on 'Add'
3. Select 'WebModelPublisher' then click on 'Deploy in the project'
4. Right-click on the root package of your model, then 'Web Model Publisher > Generate':

5. Choose a name and destination for the generated document:

6. The result is a nice browsable html version of the model:

Best regards

Go pro
Attachments:

2 months 3 weeks ago #5225 by semancik
Thank you, and this is indeed a very nice feature. But that won't really be completely aligned with the spirit of an open source project. How could others contribute? How they can make corrections? And there is also a big question of continuity: How could others take over model maintenance if I fail to do my job?

2 months 3 weeks ago #5226 by osl
Hi,

As I said, this is a good open-source solution to share a model in read-only mode.

If you want a full multi-user shared project, you need to upgrade to the commercial version which provides an off-the-shelf solution.

Best regards

Go pro

2 months 3 weeks ago #5227 by pan
Actually, a solution would be to develop a module which allows to update/commit/... into a Git repository and to synchronize with the Modelio model.

2 months 3 weeks ago #5228 by semancik
I'm perfectly OK with upgrading to commercial version. I like the idea of supporting open source project in this way. But as far I'm aware even the commercial version does not support git. Or am I wrong?
And would people that does not have commercial version be able to contribute to the model?

Moderators: tmaebr
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds
^ Back to Top