Submit a problem

In order to provide you the best help possible to analyze and debug your problems please provide us some information about your environment.
When you submit a problem, please indicate:
- The Version, Build Id, Core Id, System and Architecture (You can get these information in the Help/About menu entry)
- The Modelio Edition (Modelio Open Source or Modelio by Modeliosoft)
- Your Operating System

file Multiple entries to point to the same package?

2 weeks 3 days ago #4711 by jwinters-freal
Greetings All,
I would like to have a group of packages organized alphabetically, and then by a sub-grouping to make finding things easier. Is this possible?

I.e., I have a package:
Foreground Machines
under than I have
Machines in Alphabetical order
Homing package
Activity diagrams
State diagrams
Machines in group1
Homing -> point to the above package
Machines in group2 (etc).

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 2 days ago #4714 by ebr
Hi Jason,

I am not sure to get your question right, but if under a Package you have, for example, a set of Activities, a second set of StateMachines and a third set of Packages.
Modelio allows you to reorder elements in each set but you will not be able to have an Activity between two StateMachines or below a Package.

Best,

EBR

2 weeks 2 days ago #4716 by jwinters-freal
Hmm.. Guess I didn't explain it well enough. Doesn't help that my formatting went away when I posted. :}

What I am looking for is a way to 'link' an activity diagram between two packages, I would guess. So I can create one set of documentation, but have it sorted in a couple of different ways (in different sections of the same document) to make it easier to find.
Think sorted by name, and sorted by function... two top level packages, for example, but the underlying activity diagram is the same one.

Cheers!

Jason

2 weeks 1 day ago #4718 by ebr
If this link is only used for documentation generation purpose, I would adapt your document generation in order to generate a section sorted by name and a second sorted by function for example.

1 week 5 days ago #4719 by jwinters-freal
Not sure I've yet explained well enough what I'm trying to do... :}

I have a model in Modelio... So far, all the documentation is actually in modelio, I don't export it to some other format.

I would like a top level package that contains sub packages that have models in it to be sorted alphabetically.

I would like another top level package to contain links to the model that is sorted differently, but don't want to go into the spiral crash of having documentation in more than one place, i.e., make a copy of the model in the other top level package.

If it is not possible to 'link' a model from one package to another, that's fine. I'll just have to create a document somewhere else that will act as an 'index' and point them to the first set. I was hoping to avoid that... More things to keep updated in a different place.

Cheers!

Jason

1 week 3 days ago #4720 by ebr
Hi Jason,

I guess we have to define what you call "link an activity between two packages"

It is possible to create a UML link (Dependency for example) or from a model (Activity) to two differents packages.
But when you said that you have a top package with sub packages containing models, you did not specify any UML link here.
You specified ownerships i.e. the top package contains sub-packages and your sub-packages contain models.

All UML elements can and must have one unique owner, they can not have two or more owners so if you want to share a model (Activity) between two packages that is not possible.

In the following screenshot, you have a Top package containing two sub packages, each of them containing Activities sorted by name.
Then I create a second Top package and UML links (dependencies) between the package and the Activities to sort them differently.
If I well understood you, this second top level package is an index right? Unfortunalty, I believe that the only options (creating one or many indexes) because an UML element can only be owned by one unique element.

Hoping it responds to your question.

Cheers,
EBR
Attachments:

Moderators: tmaebr
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
^ Back to Top