file [Solved ]Unmasking and deleting

6 years 9 months ago #389 by PhilJollans
I just want to check my understanding.

If I drag an element from the model view onto a class diagram, select the element in the diagram, and then hit delete, it not only removes the element from the diagram, but deletes it from the model.

To remove it from the diagram, I must use the unmask function.

Is that correct?

I don't think this is a good intuitive behaviour.

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago #391 by pan
Hi Phil,

The Delete command deletes the element. I think we cannot do more intuitive.
Generally, people waiting that the element is masked took bad habits from some tools.
To mask the element, you can use the mask shortcut (Ctrl+M)

pan

6 years 9 months ago #392 by ebr
That is correct!!

What would be more intuitive for you?

Regards,

EBR

6 years 9 months ago #393 by PhilJollans
Thanks for the quick answers.

This behaviour surprised me. I used delete in the diagram, expecting the element to be deleted from the diagram, not from the model.

I wouldn't call that a 'bad habit', but the expectation is certainly conditioned by using other tools.

I think that this is the problem. When I create a diagram I 'feel' that I am working with primarily with the diagram. However, in Modelio, I am always working primarily with the model. This is misunderstanding, but I other new users may make the same mistake.

I don't want to start a pointless argument and will drop this issue. Modelio is an impressive tool.

Phil

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #394 by ebr
Hi Phil,

First of all thanks for yours feedbacks.

We often have this remarks but we believe that we will never have a good solution for all users. As you understood the actual behaviour consists in the suppression of the graphical element but also its related model element.

This behaviour reduces the presence of useless elements and thanks to the ghost feature if an element is used in another diagram you still have a trace of it.

But once again it is a choice, it has and maybe will be changed.

Regards,

Ebr

3 years 2 months ago #3577 by Tailorware
I ran into exactly the same problem.
I think for new users it would be very handy if you could at least show a messagebox saying: "Element will be deleted from the MODEL, not only this diagram. To remove a class from the diagram use CTRL-M." Maybe with a checkbox "Don't show this again."

Just a suggestion.

Moderators: tmaebr
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds
^ Back to Top