file how to clone a proyect in a new proyect

3 years 8 months ago #3591 by romina
please somebody can tell me the way to clone a total proyect to paste in a new proyect using other name..thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #3592 by ffe
Hi Romina

With a files explorer, browse to your Modelio workspace directory (by default it is c:\Users\yourLogin\modelio\workspace in Windows or /home/yourLogin/modelio/workspace in Linux). In this directory, you can find a list of directories. Each directory is a modelio project.

You can clone a project, just by copying the directory (with all its contents) to another directory.

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #3593 by cma
Hello Romina,

The best way to copy a project depends on your needs:
  1. To clone for using as template for a new project, it is recommended to use the "Import model" contextual command on the model fragment item.

This command imports a "copy" of the model.

2. To clone just for backup, you may use the "Export project" contextual command in the workspace view.

3. To work with other people on the same project, use SVN managed models fragments. This feature is available on Modelio commercial edition.

4. To share a part of your model with other user without allowing them to modify it, you may create a model library with the "Create model component" command on a model fragment.

You may find more informations on model libraries
    here and
    here

Beware :

Each model element in Modelio is assigned at creation an UUID that identifies it universally.

If a second user use a "backup clone" of the project, the existing model elements
will keep their original identifier and will be seen by Modelio as the same object.
If you happen to merge the both projects later by a way or another (Model component, SVN, ...) you will encounter serious problem such has "Duplicate objects" errors or model objects overwriting original ones.

The "import model" contextual command imports a "copy" of the model so that imported element identifiers are different that the original model.
Another effect is that you may run many times the "import model" command to
make many copies of the original model in the same project.
Attachments:

10 months 6 days ago #5245 by russ.lyttle
I need to make a new project that is an _exact_ copy of an existing project except for the project name. The above doesn't work in Modelio 3.7. I've also tried saving a copy of the existing project under a new name. However, the old name still shows up in the copy and can't be changed.
Any help

10 months 5 days ago - 10 months 5 days ago #5246 by osl
Hi russ.lyttle,

The process is:
1. Create a new project with the name you want
2. Run the 'Import/Export > Import > Import model' command:

3. Then select the 'project.conf' file of the original project and click on 'Import':

BR

Go pro
Attachments:

10 months 5 days ago #5247 by russ.lyttle
Thanks. I got it to work. I run Linux and the path had to be entered as "<path to home directory>/modelio/workspace/Project1/p". If I omit the final p or type the whole project.conf I still get the file-does-not-exist error.
p.s. Just did some more testing. It seems that placing a space after the final / in the path also works.

Moderators: tmaebr
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds
^ Back to Top