4 years 6 months ago #3445 by antony
I am using modelio 3.3.1 (I think it is opensource) with the following details:
Windows 7 64bit
Modelio: Version 3.3.1
Build: 201502191121
Metamodel: 9023
System: win32 (6.1)
Architecture: x86_64

I want to use git 1.9.0 to keep every version.
The tree in project directory is huge.
Should I keep them all?
Or Which files/directories should I put int .gitignore?

Many thanks.

Regards, Antony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 6 months ago #3454 by jmfavre
Hi antony,

I'm not from modeliosoft, but this might help anyway (or not ;-)). Just wait for the official answer.

In fact it depends on what you want to achieve and what files you are talking about.

First of all you will have to decide what you want to do with GitHub. This is not so obvious.
(1) You might want to use it as an archive repository just for you,
(2) you might want to "publish" the project on github so that other people can
(2.1) read it, or
(2.2) modify it.

(1) might be ok. See below.
(2.1) requires most probably another solution. Have a look at this thread (never answered)
(2.2) is probably not feasible, simply because model merging is not just like plain file merging. Modeliosoft proposal for collaboration is teamwork manager, but it requires a licence.

If you are in (1), that is you want to keep the history of your project, the best way IMHO to keep history of a projet is to use successive archives of projects (use the button "Export the project" and then save it in "MyWorkSpace1.zip", "MyWorkSpace2.zip", ...). If you are using plenty of modules (e.g. java module), etc. these archives could be quite big (Mb) which is quite boring. With the zip archive you might want to remove the content of MyWorkspace/MyProject/data/modules/* before doing the archive and keep only one version that you can store in the safe place. We typically have this problem of size when exchanging project with students. Some almost empty projects from students are 20M, but just because there are using a couple of modules. The end result is that they cannot sent their projects by email for instance). The decision of storing all dependencies in a projet is a really cool one from a software engineering and corporation perspectives, but does not help in your case for instance. Still in the scenario (1) you will not need to add something for these .ignore file because the file will be saved once only.
BTW guess what: if you remove the .jar file you will have to put them again with exactly the same version (obvious no?)

The github story also depends on what kind of things you are doing with Modelio. If you are regular user. Then you MUST keep all files. If you are a python developer (macros) or want to share other artefacts (e.g. styles) you might want to dig a little bit in the structure of projects.

hope this help
jean-marie
The following user(s) said Thank You: antony

4 years 6 months ago #3455 by antony
Dear jmfavre,

Thank you for your reply. I think this mean I need to save everything. At first I think modelio was something like eclipse. The ".metadata" folder is not needed.

Best Regards,
Antony

4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #3460 by jmfavre
Hi;

Yes this is eclipse (see the installation directory where modelio.exe or whatever lives); but not java eclipse workspace. That is, the layout of the "modelio workspace" is not the same. Some files can be versionned with github as usual, but most of them (the content of directories in the projet) MUST not as this is the internal structure of modelio and playing with file will break consistency and corrupt your model.

Final note: BE CAREFUL with EMPTY DIRECTORIES. If I'm not wrong, there are not saved with git/github. There are typically many empty directories in Modelio in the data/ directories (where your model element lives).

=> It would be better to wait for an official answer from modelio guys to know if this can cause a problem or not. Oviously you will see nothing until you totally remove your worspace from you harddisk and try to restore it... :evil:

My 0.001€
jean-marie

P.S. Please keep us post. It would be nice to know what you acheive or not with github. Also don't try dropbox or googledrive. You might get projects corrupted if you do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: antony

Moderators: tmaebr
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
^ Back to Top