file Can't create diagram elements

7 years 6 months ago #316 by porchrat
I've just got done installing modelio and getting it to start on 64 bit Linux.

Because I've now got it installed I thought I had better put this in the General Help section.

I can't seem to create any diagram elements. I create a class diagram and then left click on the "class" icon in the left margin next to the diagram canvas (for lack of a better word). At this point the mouse pointer changes to a white X. I then left click on the canvas and nothing happens. It doesn't create the class. Instead the cursor just reverts back to the standard "select" cursor. Is there some sort of trick to it or is something going terribly wrong with this install?

Is there a directory in which I would find the logs maybe to check to see if any errors are being thrown?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #317 by cde
Hi porchrat,

If you cannot create objects in your Class diagram, it's probably because your diagram has been created without a 'context'...

The 'context' corresponds to the element to which the diagram will be associated. To select this context, simply drag and drop the desired element(for example, a package), or click on it to switch to ‘picking’ mode, or else use the CTRL-Space shortcut to obtain a list of available elements.
Certain diagrams can be created without a context, (Class, Deployment, Object and UseCase) but these diagrams without context will only allow elements to be unmasked but not to be created in them. That's what happen to you I guess...

The simplest way to create a Class diagram with a context is to launch the 'Create a diagram' command from the contextual menu of the element on which you want to create the diagram, the 'context' will then be filled automatically with this element...

Check the online help for more information about this diagram context feature :
http://forge.modelio.org/projects/modelio-user-manual-english/wiki/Modeler-_modeler_diagrams_creating_diagram

7 years 6 months ago #318 by porchrat
LOL oops.

I see now that I hadn't assigned the diagram a context so it makes sense that it wouldn't let me stick classes into the diagram as it wouldn't know which project to store them in.

I foolishly skipped the help pages and just dived right in. Then I just looked at the help pages for creating classes in diagrams when I got stuck and never thought to look back to see if I hadn't been a muppet when creating the diagram itself.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out though. I can see I'm going to have to take this step by step instead of my usual shoot from the hip approach. :P

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #1180 by cde
Hi,

I would just like to point out that this problem/confusion has been fixed in the latest version of Modelio ( 2.2.1 ), now the context of a diagram is its owner element. ‘no-context diagrams’ don’t exist any more...
See Modelio 2.2.1 change log for more information: forge.modelio.org/projects/modelio/wiki/Modelio_221

Best regards,
cde

Moderators: tmaebr
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds
^ Back to Top