file [Solved] Which files to add to source control

8 years 11 months ago #255 by PhilJollans
Hi,

I have just started using Modelio. If I am going to use it seriously I will have to add the project files to our source control system (Subversion).

If I add the whole workspace and its subdirectories I currently have 114 files. Most of these appear to be unrelated to my project, in particular 86 files in the directory mda\ModelerModule\res\bmp.

Is it really necessary to add all of these files to the source control system?

What are the best practices for using Modelio with version control?

Presumably, this is a problem all serious users have.

Thanks in advance
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #260 by barbe.rousse
Hi,

I guess it depends on your kind of project and why do you need a source control sytem...

Will you be the only user or will you share your project between several peoples?
Modelio projects will be the only kind of artefact present or will you added word document, java sources or video files?

In short could you give us more details about your Modelio/Subversion usage?

Regards,

br

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #261 by andy
Hi Phil,

Do you use Modelio with Teamwork by ModelioSoft? It is a recommended way for serious projects. It works over SVN and allows versioning on the class level.

Otherwise you can put the project .ofpx under version control. However this method would only work if you don't need to work simultaneously with other team members.

Another solution to organize the work is to fragment the model into model components. It is a recommended way to work with big models and in several teams. Teams would work separately on different components, which could be integrated later. Components are versioned.

For example Team 1 works on a Lib1. Team 2 integrates this Lib in their model in a read-only mode. When Team 1 releases a new version of Lib 1, Team 2 reintegrates this new version.

For more info about this method you can check here

Hope this helps,

Andrey

8 years 10 months ago #283 by PhilJollans
Thanks. Only storing the .ofpx file seems to work.

If you are not used to Eclipse, the workspace and project concept is confusing, but I have now got it working.

I think I will be back soon with more questions. :)

Phil

8 years 10 months ago #285 by chm
I agree with the previous answers, but i'd like to respond to this:

PhilJollans wrote: If I add the whole workspace and its subdirectories I currently have 114 files. Most of these appear to be unrelated to my project, in particular 86 files in the directory mda\ModelerModule\res\bmp.

The "mda" directory in each project contains all the external resources for Modelio's modules, like stereotype images, or JavaDesigner's configuration files.

Storing the .ofpx only might work for the pure "model" part, but you'll have to install all your modules manually to keep the application working: they can't start without their resources.

I hope this will make the content of your project a little clearer, :cheer:

chm

8 years 10 months ago #286 by fpo
Storing the ".ofpx" file only in a version control system will only work up to a point. Upon restoring that single file in an empty directory, you'd miss quite a lot of things!
For example, you definitely should store the "mda" directory too (but not the "mda/.runtime" subdirectory), as this directory actually holds the resources of all modules installed in your projects, in particular the ".jar" containing the functions (like the "generate code" command brought by JavaDesigner) and the images of all stereotypes and extensions provided by the modules in your project.
In the upcoming version, some other directories will prove mandatory too.

All in all, and despite the fact that it might mean a lot of files, I think you should archive the whole project directory, with only a few exclusions (like I said, the "mda/.runtime" directory, and also the source directories and files if you are using a MDD approach and can reproduce these directories and files from your model), lest you risk having holes in your model upon restoration.

In case that helps, there is a "Export Project" command in the contextual menu of the "Workspace" view of the "Workspace" perspective that produce a single file archive of your project that you can easily manage in a version control software (and the opposite "Import Project" command in that same view and also in the File menu).

Of course as Andy said, the best way to handle version control with Modelio is to use the TeamWork commercial module, as it integrates version control of your model directly into the GUI of Modelio.

Moderators: tma
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds
^ Back to Top