file State Machine v.2.0.1

8 years 11 months ago #225 by ebr
Hi Michok,

A workaround would be to create a 'related diagram link' between your state and the state machine diagram of its submachine.

For that, in a diagram, create a related diagram link from your state.
Then drag and drop the statemachine diagram of the state sub machine above the created related diagram link .
Thanks to that, when you right click on your state (selected in the UML explorer, selection in the diagram will come soon) you will see the diagram list related to your state.

Hoping it helps.

Best Regards,

ebr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #226 by michok34
Hi,

thanks for the workaround. However, I ain't looking for workaround but compliance with UML2. If a state is set as submachine the UML2 semantic is <state name> ‘:’ <name of referenced state machine>. And the modeler doesn't seem to respect this syntax.
In some cases, it is convenient to hide the decomposition of a composite state. And UML specs make graphical suggestion to represent that composite state.

The purpose is to generate clear software specifications documents. So if the workaround is to draw a related diagram link, it loose its simplifaction point :)

If it isn't possible to change the composite state behavior, (what I can understand) the submachine state have to respect at least the UML syntax without manual workaround.

Regards.

Richard

8 years 11 months ago #227 by ebr
Hi michok,

I am little bit confuse, if you want to create a composite state why are your state made a reference to a sub state machine. A composite state and a sub machine state are two differents things!

I give you a workaround for openning the diagram of a submachine state not the internal structure of a composite state.

Concerning composite state, Modelio does not hide their internal structure.
But according to the UML specification, this internal structure must be specified by creating regions inside your state, sub states inside your region, etc.

And finaly concerning the syntax of name ofthe submachine state , you are right. The "':' <name of referenced state machine>" part is missing. I will be corrected in the next version. Thanks for the feedback.
Hoping it is clear.

Regards,
ebr

8 years 11 months ago #228 by michok34
My bad, if I cause confusion. As I said my purpose is to draw simple diagrams in one hand to generate documents and in the other hand to gain time in modeling.

I clarify my mind:
First I've created a composite state with region, substates, pseudo-state etc. and hide the internal structure. But as you said Modelio can't do it and whatever this graphical part is optional in UML specs, it is only suggested for convenience. Hence my request for a Composite State with hidden decomposition indicator icon.

Then I've created a diagram with a state with submachine (discovering the missing part) and I was thinking that double-clicking (or right-click->select in explorer) would be a nice modelio's behavior as the state refers to the statemachine. But it refers to the state element instead. That's the reason why I ask how I can open directly (or select) the related diagram.
I even tried a drag and drop of the state machine in the first diagram that almost leads me to the 2nd diagram in explorer but there's still that syntax problem and I can't draw transition from or to it.

In the first case there's no icon indicating that the state owns a decomposition compartiment and in the second case there's no link to the SM diagram.

I'm glad that my feedback helps you improve the software. It deserve to take a huger place in the modeler's world.

Regards

8 years 11 months ago #229 by ebr
Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to made these clarifications. It is more clear now.
Once again many thanks.

Just one litlte thing concerning your second case .... :)
I am not sure to really understand your point.
You drag and dropped the second state machine into your first diagram and you expected to create or have a link between your state and the unmasked state machine, right ??

Regards,

ebr

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #230 by michok34
Not exactly :)
If you simply DnD the statemachine from model explorer into a SM diagram, it graphically creates an element that looks like a submachine state. If I right-click->select in explorer it doesn't open the diagram but at least it selects the right state machine. And I was expected it to act like a submachine state.

The purpose in that case is to quicken the modeling. I want to quicly access to the statemachine diagram referenced by the submachine state. And the workaround doesn't fit the first objective of a clear and simple diagram.

Regards.

Moderators: tma
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds
^ Back to Top