check [Solved] Project locked, cant open again

6 years 4 weeks ago #1605 by Jade
Thank you very much , i'm sorry to reply that late but I was very occuped with other programs I have to learn :P . The thing is, nothing happened before I saved my project.It's when I reopen it an hour after it said that my project was locked and nothing could be done and the teacher couldn't help in anyways. But i'm not the only one who had their project locked but I think it would be best now to work on my own computer because it usually happends only on the school's computers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 weeks ago #1606 by pan
I don't know if it can have an impact but what OS are you using at school and at home? Are you using architecture 32-bit or 64-bit?

It's a problem which Modelio team is conscious also, for Modelio 3, we are working on a new storage format in order to improve reliability of Modelio projects :up

6 years 4 weeks ago #1607 by mmesser314
Could the problem be file permissions at school? Perhaps an IO exception is being thrown while trying to read/write a project file or an internal modelio configuration file. Even if the exception is handled, it might interrupt Modelio in a way similar to an unexpected shut down, and leave a lock in an invalid state.

If Modelio has a log, they might show such an exception. If you find an exception in the log, could you attach the log to a post?

6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #1610 by mmesser314
Arrgh! It's my own fault. I know better. I should have backed up.

I don't know what happened this time. Not a crash. But now when I open Modelio, I get a blank workspace with all the windows open. The diagrams window has no diagrams. The Model window has no models. Etc. I can't open my project.

I have attached the log and zipped the project. Can you make it openable?
Attachments:

6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #1612 by osl
Hi,

I was able to open your project:

The problem might be related to the version of your modules.

Try the following:

1. Update the modules in the project ('Extension / Install a module')

If it does not help:
2. Create a new project and use the 'File / Import a model' command to import the Bingo model into the new project.

Go pro
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmesser314

6 years 3 weeks ago #1615 by mmesser314
Thank you. I have my project open. I think the problem may have been simply that I was confused. In fact, I still am.

Because of this, I have a couple suggestions for your user interface.

I have been casually using Modelio for about a month. Normally I would open Modelio and see icons for my project in windows labelled Diagrams and Windows. I would click an icon to open my project.

One day that changed. When I opened Modelio, I saw empty windows - no icons. The log (attached to an earlier post) showed warnings and exceptions that I had not seen before. I still don't know the cause or why I no longer see them. This steered my thinking toward broken project.

As it turns out, I think the only thing I needed to do was close the empty project and open my project.

I saw no obvious way to open my project. To me, the obvious way would be File / Open Project... Particularly because I saw File / New Project... and such. You might consider adding Open Project.

I played around while following your advice to create a new project and import my project. While doing so, I stumbled on a toolbar that restored the workspace perspective. From there I could open my project. Up to this point, I was unaware of the workspace perspective.

I see there is an Open Perspective icon on a toolbar. From this, I can open the Workspace and other perspectives. It might help to add Open Perspective to the menu.

Regardless of my newbie confusions, I do appreciate Modelio. Thanks for your help.

Moderators: tmaebr
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
^ Back to Top