file Is Modelio dead?

7 months 2 days ago #6481 by AlDante
The last Modelio release was nearly two years ago (February 3rd, 2020). The MacOS version has been broken for a similar time, because Modelio uses Eclipse RCP 4.8 and Java 8, rather than the current versions of 4.21 and Java 17. The last news post was 13 months ago. The last git push was 10 months ago, to fix a link in the readme.

The reliance on super old versions means an immense effort for anybody wanting to fix issues themselves.

What is the current situation with Modelio? Are there any current plans or even a road map?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 weeks ago #6486 by cluxter
Hi

The company which edited Modelio (Softeam) has been bought about 2 years ago (by Docaposte).
They created a new website for the v5, see here: www.modeliosoft.com/en/
Old website up to v4: www.modelio.org/

Since v5, Modelio is not a software anymore but a SaaS.

So yes, Modelio as we knew it (up to v4) is now dead and it's very likely that it won't be supported anymore.

They followed the road of Astah and many other competitors, ie. moving from software to SaaS. From what I know, Modelio was the last FOSS which was following the UML v2.5 standard and which was a modelling solution (ie. where the whole model is consistent, with automatic live checks to ensure that your whole model complies with the UML standard), not just a drawing solution.

This leaves us with StarUML as the last standing solution for UML modeling as a FOSS, which isn't really following the UML v2.5 standard. It is still actively maintained though.
Visual Paradigm is really good but it's not a FOSS.

So today my one and only decent solution as a modelling software (and not a drawing software) is to use Visual Paradigm, which has a freeware version.
Papyrus is an amazing modelling solution but it's not really user friendly.

I'm really sad to see Modelio disappearing as a FOSS. We can fork the v4 on GitHub, but it requires a lot of skills and workforce to maintain it. New versions of UML are not released very often, but when they do it's a lot of work to update the tools to comply with the new version of the standard.

If you know any FOSS which complies with the UML standard, please let us know!

4 months 2 weeks ago #6487 by pan

They created a new website for the v5, see here: www.modeliosoft.com/en/
Old website up to v4: www.modelio.org/

Actually www.modeliosoft.com is not a new website. It was existing before than Modelio becomes an open source software. www.modeliosoft.com is for business solutions.
Modelio open source is always developed but with covid its development has slowed down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bit

4 months 2 weeks ago #6488 by cluxter
This is wonderful news! It would be nice to post some messages here and there, on Twitter and the forum for example. Working from home doesn't prevent from posting messages online, right?

Otherwise, it would be nice to have more details about what Modelio is supposed to become.
v4 is a software. v5 is a SaaS. So will v5 have an executable binary at some point? Will it be FOSS? Or will v4 be maintained for some time until v5 is successful enough so v4 can be killed sooner or later?

We are not even asking for a roadmap here. Just getting news from little posts like you just did would totally change the trust users can have in Modelio. Getting zero news is seen as "this project is now officially dead".

I've been willing to spend a lot of time working on improving Modelio, like packaging it, debugging it, etc., but I barely got any responses when I posted some content about it. There is basically no interaction with the community and this is really too bad.

2 months 1 week ago #6504 by AlDante
The big problem with forking the Github version is that every library is so completely out of date. I tried to get Modelio running on the current version of RCP, with no luck whatsoever. Possibly it would be better to start completely from scratch, maybe re-using the layout algorithms but otherwise a completely new version.

(I'm talking here more about the UML modelling side - code generation could possibly also be reused).

2 months 1 week ago #6505 by phv
Hi all,

Glad to see that Modelio has many fans here !
Let's start by good news and keep the story short : there will be a Modelio 5 open-source.
Bad news is that I cannot tell when it will be made available.

As some of you noticed, Softeam, who was the sponsor behind Modelio, has been bought by DocaPoste.
It first took some time to see more clearly what Modelio would become.
As cluxter said, Modelio 5 turned out to Saas and was not made available in its open-source version.
Then came the Covid thing to add some chaos...
Things are now moving forward again and Modelio open source has a future.

Unfortunately, the next Modelio 5.1 open source will not solve the MacOS issues as its base RCP version will not evolve
However, the Modelio 5.2 version, which is currently in preparation in its commercial Saas variant, is based on RCP 4.8 and Java 11. This should help solving the MacOS issues in the future. And yes this Modelio 5.2 should be available in open source too.

PhV

Moderators: cde
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds
^ Back to Top