file [Solved] Model import and RAMC - include Diagrams

7 years 6 months ago #338 by michaelp
Since the Modelio 2.0 new diagram model has been implemented, importing an model into a project (either through RAMCs or direct import from modelio projet) does not import diagrams.

I'd suggest the following rules for diagram export to RAMC / import to new project :
- Export all diagrams that are in the context of the selected elements (manifested in RAMC or imported into new project)
- Mask from diagrams all elements that are not selected for export to RAMC / import in new project

Currently this is preventing me from pushing Modelio further in our team since we require splitting our projects in a more coherent way, so that anyone can work efficiently. I know we could avoid this if we had been using only one project and a Team module licence, but I'm sure this diagram export/import is important anyway.

Michaël
Praxeme Institute

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #342 by fpo
Quick reply: I basically agree with the first suggestion (diagram that have an Element as context should "follow" this element when it is packaged in a Model Component or when it is imported into another project) but disagree on the second (modifying the content of a diagram without the user actually asking is something we try to avoid at all cost).

Anyway, this is worth an evolution request, which you can post on the official bug tracker of Modelio here: forge.modelio.org/projects/modelio/issues/new (you will need to create an account on the forge site if you don't have one already before being allowed to post).
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelp

7 years 6 months ago #348 by michaelp

fpo wrote: [...] but disagree on the second (modifying the content of a diagram without the user actually asking is something we try to avoid at all cost).

I understand your disagreement, however you can't manipulate a diagram without all of its elements. So either you exclude all diagrams for which any number of element is missing from the export / import, either you include these diagrams but exclude any reference to missing element.

Neither seem to be perfect from a user point-of-view :
- If you exclude the diagram, you might lose lots of information and generate a massive amount of additional work after the import to re-generate lost diagrams.
- If you include them with missing elements, you might produce incomplete or even empty diagrams, which seemed to me, at first, a "lesser evil" since generating less work in my current case (merely deleting now-insignificant diagrams).

You could even imagine a pop-up asking for the user to include the missing elements but it's kinda complex (each missing class, their parent packages... ?). Or you could include a "state" on diagrams and mark modified diagrams "to be reviewed". This is the kind of functions provided by MDM solutions :-)

Should I post all these suggestions in the evolution request ?

Michaël
Praxeme Institute

7 years 6 months ago #355 by fpo
First, I think I should point out something that's been introduced with Modelio 2.0 (it did not exits either in previous versions of Modelio, nor in Objecteering): ghosts!

Now, now, don't run in panic yet. I just meant: ghost trace of elements that were there. Work like this: in a diagram, if there once was an element displayed, and said element cannot be found in the model anymore, then a "ghost" of it will be displayed instead. This somehow allows to avoid empty/incomplete diagrams, in that the element is missing, (nothing we can do about it) but at least you can know that something was there (you get to see its name, metaclass and id).

With that, the second option is now way more seductive: including diagrams even though they may contains missing elements is much less of a problem, since they will NOT be empty (unless they were empty all along ;)). Worst case scenario: a diagram full of ghost! But even so, you still have some informations: what was shown here, how if was laid out, etc.

So the main feature request remains the same: include diagrams along Model Components. The content of these diagrams will remain untouched during that operation, meaning if missing elements are brought later (for example: you had them in the next version of the Model Component) then the ghost will be back to life!

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #1186 by cde
Hi,

I would just like to point out that that these problems has been fixed in the last version of Modelio ( 2.2.1 ) :

- The context of a diagram is now its owner element. ‘no-context diagrams’ don’t exist any more.
- Diagrams are now embedded in model components.
- Diagrams imported by copy now display the corresponding elements, instead of ghosts.

See Modelio 2.2.1 change log for more information: forge.modelio.org/projects/modelio/wiki/Modelio_221

Best regards,
cde

Moderators: cdeebr
Time to create page: 0.043 seconds
^ Back to Top