file [Solved] Incorrect Event name in State Machine Model explorer

4 years 10 months ago #3689 by tomhay
State Machine Events displayed in the Model explorer are labelled with the name of the associated Signal, if any. If multiple Events are associated with the same signal, they cannot be visually distinguished in the explorer.

To reproduce:
- Create a Project
- Create a State Machine diagram
- Add a Signal called Signal
- Add an Event called Event (label in Model explorer appears correctly as "Event")
- Change Event's Model property - select Signal from dropdown
- Event's label in Model explorer now appears incorrectly as "Signal"

If multiple events with different names are associated with the same signal, they all appear in the Model explorer labelled with the name of the underlying signal, which makes it impossible to see which is the event you want to select.

If a transition is associated with Event, and Transition labels are enabled on the diagram, the transition label appears correctly as "Event".

Modelio Version 3.4.0 (Windows)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #3690 by ebr
Hi,

In fact this behavior comes from the UML specification itself (UML 2.5 section 13.3.4) which is, for me, logical.

An SignalEvent represents the occurences of a given Signal.
So two SignalEvent related to the same Signal does not make sense, because they both represents occurences of the same Signal. So it is logical to not be able to distinguish them because they are the same concepts...

Hoping it helps,

EBR

4 years 10 months ago #3691 by tomhay
Hello Max:

Apologies for raising this as an issue, you are of course right about 13.3.4. What I find strange is that the abstract syntax in 13.3.2 indicates that multiple SignalEvents can be associated with a single Signal, so having them all named identically doesn't make sense to me. Anyway the problem is with my interpretation of the specification, not the tool. Thanks again for your quick response and great support, despite the comments I think Modelio is an excellent tool!

Tom.

Moderators: tmaaabcde
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds
^ Back to Top