lock [Solved]Finding out how Modelio persists it's data

7 years 6 months ago #351 by porchrat

chm wrote: I agree, defining a module to create your diagrams would be a better (and way simpler) solution.

Yes something like this is what I was thinking of. Would I need a full module for that or would something like that fall within the scope of macros?

You should take a look at the developer API page for general infos about modules, and the documentation of diagram services for your diagram creation.

Awesome. Thanks for the additional information. I had already glanced through some of the API but I wasn't aware of the diagram-services section. I have already downloaded a module development tutorial pdf (moduleDevTutos.pdf) that is sitting on my drive at the moment (though where I found it I can't recall at the moment but I'm certain it was somewhere on this site).

I guess i'll see you on the module developement section soon. :cheer:

LOL I would imagine so yes. Though you guys provide such a surprising amount of information for developers that I hopefully won't have to be too much of a bother. :P
The topic has been locked.
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #353 by chm

porchrat wrote: Yes something like this is what I was thinking of. Would I need a full module for that or would something like that fall within the scope of macros?

Well, that depends on what you really intend to do.

From my point of view, Jython scripts are usually 'oneshot' operations, and best kept as simple as possible. For example, creating a diagram on a package and unmasking its sub classes in a line could be a simple script.

Modules are best for complex operations, or automated tasks. For example, navigating recursively on all your packages and layouting all sub elements in diagrams, including links and other things like setting graphical properties...

The code for diagram manipulation could fastly become quite voluminous, and i'm more confortable doing it with Java than with Jython. Both can achieve the same result, but a module is easier to maintain for me, as compilation detects a lot of basic errors i could miss in a Jython script!
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #357 by michaelp

chm wrote:

porchrat wrote: Yes something like this is what I was thinking of. Would I need a full module for that or would something like that fall within the scope of macros?

Well, that depends on what you really intend to do.

From my point of view, Jython scripts are usually 'oneshot' operations, and best kept as simple as possible.

Some would also recommend using Jython for prototyping since it's immediately usable in the project. So you can use it to check feasabilty or develop and test quickly some small chunks of your module. APIs are basically the same and jython is not so hard to use for a Java developper.

If your prototype works out OK, or if it starts to get too big, you can translate it into a module.

Michaƫl
Praxeme Institute
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #370 by porchrat
Thanks for all the information and guidance guys. I've got a pretty good idea of where to start now.

Unfortunately I have a lot of work to get through for the moment but I will at some point need to tackle this and when I do I will be sure to come to this forum for additional help and guidance.

Unless the mods feel it is important to keep this open for other contributions feel free to close it as my question has been answered.

Thanks again guys. Keep up the great work! :)
7 years 6 months ago #371 by fpo
Marking the thread as solved and locking it.
Moderators: chmcma
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds
^ Back to Top