Submit a problem

In order to provide you the best help possible to analyze and debug your problems please provide us some information about your environment.
When you submit a problem, please indicate:
- The Version, Build Id, Core Id, System and Architecture (You can get these information in the Help/About menu entry)
- The Modelio Edition (Modelio Open Source or Modelio by Modeliosoft)
- Your Operating System

file [Solved] Adding help documentation to custom written Module

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3157 by mase
Hi All,

I'm currently working on a custom written module for me and my fellow architects and I'm trying to find out how I can add help documentation.

I looked at the provided modules like toga and java developer and saw that they just include a jar file containing eclipse help files (i think). So I attempted to repeat this but the documentation doesn't appear in the modelio help page (as subject). What is even stranger is that the <docpath> entry in the module.xml is removed by the maven modulio plugin.

Can anybody help me/or point me to some documentation on how it should be done.

By the way I was also trying to find the source for the standard delivered documentation of the plugins but couldn't find them, (the ones that are provided as jars to the module). I would like to find out whether I create the help jar properly.

Cheers,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3158 by chm
Hi mase,

looks like you almost got everything right, here are the required step to include documentation in a module:
  • create your own eclipse documentation plugin .
  • in your module's pom.xml file, add a dependency to your documentation plugin to embed it in your jmdac. We usually keep the module and documentation versions synchronized, but it is not mandatory.
  • in your module.xml file, add a docpath entry referencing your documentation jar as it is in the jmdac file. For exemple, lib/org.modelio.documentation.mase-1.0.00.jar

mase wrote: What is even stranger is that the <docpath> entry in the module.xml is removed by the maven modulio plugin.

Well, that might be a syntax problem in your module.xml file, it changed a little with some Modelio version.

With Modelio 3.2+, add this before the </Module> marker:
<Resources>
    <DocFiles>
        <PathEntry path="lib/org.modelio.documentation.mase-1.0.00.jar"/>
    </DocFiles>
</Resources>

With Modelio 2.x, add this after your </classpath> marker:
<docpath>
    <entry path="lib/org.modelio.documentation.mase-1.0.00.jar"/>
</docpath>

mase wrote: Can anybody help me/or point me to some documentation on how it should be done.

I'm sorry but I wasn't able to find any documentation about this in the Module developer's guide... It will be added as soon as possible.

Hope this helps,

chm

2 years 8 months ago #3159 by ffe
Hi Mase,

Here is a help plugin example.
Once you have uncompressed and imported it into your Eclipse workspace, open the "Plug-in Manifest Editor" panel via the plgin.xml file and use the "Export Wizard" to create the jar.

ffe
Attachments:

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3160 by mase
Thank you for the quick response.

I created a example eclipse help jar via maven which resulted in the included jar. I also added the following entry in the module.xml but the topics don't appear within the help.
<Resources>
        <DocFiles>
            <PathEntry path="lib/ArchiMate-Documentation-${project.version}.jar"/>
        </DocFiles>
    </Resources>

Note: I build the eclipse documentation with maven docbook plugin.

ArchiMate-Documentation-0.0.1.jar

2 years 8 months ago #3161 by chm
Maybe something's going wrong in the java part of your module then.

In your module's main class (the one referenced at the beginning of your module.xml), could you please make sure:
  • the class is extending AbstractJavaModule
  • init() method is calling super.init()
  • uninit() method is calling super.uninit()

If I remember correctly, the installation of the documentation plugin is done in these methods of AbstractJavaModule...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mase

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3162 by mase
I was indeed missing the
super.init()
. Now the documentation appears within the modelio help screen.

Thank you very much. :up

Moderators: tmachmaab
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds
^ Back to Top