file Development of new Metamodels

7 years 4 weeks ago #1789 by kildare_s
Hello, I've found in the Modelio documentation an extensive support for the development of modules and extensions, but these are dependent of the tool's supported metamodels. So, what if I'm interested in developing a module which supports a different metamodel, developed by me (i.e. digital circuits)? I couldn't find in the documentation support for this kind of development. Is this possible or am I dependent in the tool's supported metamodels? If it's possible, could you tell in which part of the documentation it is described?

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 weeks ago #1792 by andy
Hello,

We recommend to use UML profiles and custom rules to implement you meta-model as a UML profile. It is quite straight forward.

I leave others to comment on the possibility to directly add your meta-model. As far as I know it is not easy, though not completely impossible.

Andrey

7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #1793 by barbe.rousse
Hi,

I agree with Andy.

Modelio implements UML and BPMN metamodels if you want a Modelio implementing a custom (your) metamodel, I guess that you have to develop it which means develop your customized Modelio supporting your dedicated metamodel. This is possible by getting Modelio sources and modified them but I guess not so easy and unfortunatly not well documented.

Another solution would be to implement your own UML profile. In short, a UML profile is a customization of the UML metamodel and Modelio support this feature. That means that you are able to extend Modelio, thanks to a dedicated module, with your own UML modelling definition. This is basically the feature used by a lot of Modelio modules (Togaf, SysML, Java or C++ generators). This would be easier and welldocumented.

Hoping it help,

BR

7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #1794 by kildare_s
Thanks for your answers. I was looking in the Modelio documentation for something related in how the metamodels were implemented, but didn't find anything.
One good thing is that I have some knowledge in UML profiles and extensions :P

Anyway, the reason why I asked that is because I thought that maybe the tool could read the metamodels from a repository, a XMI file, or something related, process the metamodel and then show it on the screen the way we see it. But clearly this isn't the purpose, otherwise I believe this would be well explained

Moderators: tmachmaab
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds
^ Back to Top