file A couple of licensing issues

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #4213 by oca
At a quick (very quick) review of websites/forge, the clearly careful and considerate way licensing is done is impressive for any company, particularly with a few years in open source, but of course I wouldn't have expected any less. :)

Just a few things.
(1) On the page www.modeliosoft.com/en/about/credits.html , there's a typo:
"More information about Creatice Commons License."
instead of
"More information about Creative Commons License."

(2) On the same page, just a suggestion: note which Creative Commons license it is. I suggest the text:
"Modeliosoft uses some photos available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 License. More information about this Creative Commons License."
(I'd say this is good practice to name which license exactly. It might be just pedantry on my part, but well, too many sites use the expression "under a Creative Commons license", and they mean sometimes different licenses in the same time or we don't know because they don't link to any. -- Here, the text links to CC-BY 2.0 and I verified 80% of photos and they were all CC-BY 2.0, so no such problems of course. I still think it's good practice to name the license visibly.)

(3) The website modelio.org and/or the forge say about Modelio and some modules:
"This project is open to contributions under Modeliosoft terms."
However, there is no link to these Modeliosoft terms. And I don't find these terms on the modelio.org site either. Am I missing them? I am expecting a kind of license/agreement for contributions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 11 months ago #4215 by pan
(a) and (b) have been fixed.

(c) Can you give us a page where you found this phrase?

1 year 11 months ago #4217 by oca
Thank you :)

(c) Please find it here for example:
forge.modelio.org/projects
For multiple projects, Java Designer, Modelio 2 and 3, and others.

1 year 11 months ago #4218 by pan
I think the terms are those defined on this page: www.modelio.org/about-modelio/license.html

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #4219 by oca
I don't think that license can be the only one, because this Modelio open source licensing page talks only about GPL as the license for Modelio core and some components. It says:
The Modelio core, which is mainly the modeler and all the necessary components, is licensed under the GPL license. The GPL license requires that the destination software reusing the code also be open source under GPL. Any distribution that includes elements of the Modelio core must therefore also be distributed under the GPL license (except the original author, who may publish his software under several different licenses).

This means that if a contributor, outside Modeliosoft, submits code for Modelio core, his/her code is likely licensed GPL. So Modeliosoft can always distribute his/her code, but can only ever distribute his/her code under GPL. As the above paragraph says: any distribution that includes his/her code must be distributed under the GPL.

But that's not the case or intention: Modeliosoft also offers a proprietary license for Modelio core and some modules.[1] Modeliosoft would need another license/allowance from that contributor, to include his/her code in its proprietary offering, because GPL doesn't allow Modeliosoft to include the code in a proprietary distribution.

I'm not sure if I expressed the problem well enough? In any case, my point is that for outside contributions, Modeliosoft needs some way to make sure it can offer the terms it wishes - sometimes GPL (like on modelio.org), sometimes others. Typically, another agreement between the company and an external author is the way to solve that.

Please correct me if I get it wrong. I didn't actually review the licensing of the code, I am just trying to figure out first what does the website say about everything, to the potential users/developers coming around to look. :)

[1] any other license, e.g. www.modeliosoft.com/en/purchase/cart.htm...id=25&product_id=173

Moderators: andy
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds
^ Back to Top